Properties Panel[edit | edit source]
The properties panel for a Star object will include the following tabs:
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Star objects have the following sets of characteristics:
- They are attracting objects, meaning that they exert a gravitational force on other objects in the simulation.
- They are attracted objects, meaning that they feel the effects of gravity from other attracting objects in the simulation.
- They have calculated orbital elements, and their orbit can be displayed.
- They can collide with other objects.
- Their age affects their mass, radius, and density.
- They have a surface temperature, distinct from their internal effective temperature.
- They emit heat, which will affect the temperatures of other objects in the simulation.
- They emit light, which will allow the user to see other objects in the simulation.
- They experience stellar evolution, including the possibility of supernova.
- They have a simulated composition.
- They may have a magnetic field.
Database[edit | edit source]
The Universe Sandbox database includes stars from several sources, including:
- The Yale Bright Star Catalogue, 5th Revised Edition, which includes over 9,000 of the brightest stars.
- The RECONS database of the 100 nearest star systems.
- The stars listed in the Open Exoplanet Catalogue.
Universe Sandbox also uses the SIMBAD Astronomical Database to find uniform positions and alternative names for stars in its database.