A Planetary Body in Universe Sandbox is a simulated object that is massive enough to be spherical and to have a significant gravitational effect on other objects, but is not massive enough to qualify as a Star or a Black Hole. Planetary Bodies can represent a variety of actual celestial objects, including exoplanets, planets, moons, and larger Solar System objects.
Properties Panel[edit | edit source]
The properties panel for a Planetary Body object will include the following tabs:
The Earth and Mars will have a Climate tab in place of the Temperature tab.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Planetary Body objects have the following sets of characteristics:
- They are attracting objects, meaning that they exert a gravitational force on other objects in the simulation.
- They are attracted objects, meaning that they feel the effects of gravity from other attracting objects in the simulation.
- They have calculated orbital elements, and their orbit can be displayed.
- They can collide with other objects, and produce fragments.
- Their surface properties, including surface temperature, are simulated in two dimensions.
- They have a simulated composition.
- They may have an atmosphere.
- They may have a magnetic field.