Certain effects in Universe Sandbox will cause an object to break apart, producing fragments. These effects include:
- Collision fragmentation, which occurs when objects collide with enough energy
- Roche fragmentation, which occurs when an object is torn apart by tidal forces
- Friction fragmentation, which occurs when a nearby explosion blasts fragments off an object
Related Properties & Settings[edit | edit source]
Settings[edit | edit source]
- All fragmentation can be turned off using the Fragment toggle in the Sim menu in the bottom bar, or using the the Sim Settings Menu#Create Fragments toggle in the full Sim Settings Menu.
- Individual types of fragmentation can also be toggled on and off in the Sim Settings menu.
Models[edit | edit source]
Whenever collision, Roche, or friction fragmentation is triggered, Fragment objects are produced. The number of fragments created is automatically calculated by Universe Sandbox based on performance limitations. The location, mass, and velocity of each fragment is chosen randomly from a distribution determined by the type of fragmentation in order to conserve mass, momentum, and energy.
Limitations[edit | edit source]
The number of fragments produced is limited by performance, as increasing the number of objects in a simulation will require more computational power.